Thursday 6 December 2007

Two Things Challenge - Colourful Language




I was dog walking the other day when I happened to walk past this rather nondescript church and noticed the fishing imagery on the windows. This is appropriate for Hull as is (or was) a fishing community and many lives have been lost at sea and people may have sought solace in a church such as this one, among the former terrace houses of the fishermen. Also the fish symbol is a Christian one, as Christians should be 'fishers of men'.
I came back with my camera to take pics of the fish windows, but from the outside they weren't very good, as these windows were meant to be seen from the inside, illuminated by the light of faith perhaps. The vicar's wife saw me, as it was a Sunday morning, and kindly invited me inside to take some better pictures. As usual my camera batteries conked out at the crucial moment so after much faffing I quickly took this pic, which does cut off the bottom but I didn't want to delay her too much.
Stained glass windows were originally a way of communicating ideas and stories to the illiterate medieval masses, so in that way they are 'colourful language', albeit of a visual kind. I quite like the way this subverts the obvious meaning of 'colourful language', which, is of course a usually profane one, of the sort perhaps used by the trawlermen. Although I am not religious, I always get something out of going into a church, and this occasion was no exception.

14 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Beverly,

What a brilliant way to interpret this challenge!! I am constantly awed by your ability to see things in unusual ways!!

Great entry!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

dianeclancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Ditto Diane! What a clever entry. I love stained glass too. The church we got married in had some absolutely lovely glass work. I never thought about it being a visual history and language, thank you for bringing that to my attention! Great stuff :)

lebanesa said...

Lovely and reminded me of one of the best English Literature lectures I ever heard on the tryptych - a moment of intellectual bliss. You are such a clever person and full of interesting ideas. I had been wondering how to present colourful language in a non-offensive form!

lebanesa said...

or even a triptych - my eyesight? typing? or brain?

Debi said...

Bev, one of the things I like about your posts is that they frequently involve unexpecting souls (like the bloke in the pub, like this vicar's wife). You are involved in the world around you even when you are sneaking about taking pictures. ;)

I love the theme you presented here and the way your mind works around an idea, coming up with all sorts of interpretations. I liked your idea of the stained glass being "colorful language," as in illustrative language to the masses at one time. Clever and thought-provoking.

And I always, always, always love strolling with you through Hull. That church is stunning in its simplicity, don't you think?

Debi said...

P.S. And speaking of colourful words...FAFFING! Never heard of it before. I had to look it up so I could understand you. Good word, that, although strictly British. It can be used in mixed company, can it not?

Rima said...

What she said, and her and her... I agree with all the comments - very brilliant and inventive interpretation. A lovely post, really. But you should tossed those faffing batteries firmly to the ground - that usually does the trick, I read that somewhere... :-b

Bobbie said...

Well, I was faffed as I laughed. I wind up laughing always when I read some of the comments, esp. the ones Rima leaves. She has such a great sense of humor. I see where Hala gets it from :)

Bev, this post was very interesting. I loved the church and the little fishes on the windows and more than that the images that you painted in my head.
You win 2 things so far :)

Irene said...

I feel the same way about churches, Bev. The more decorated they are, the more in awe I am. I feel something there, I don't know what, but there is something. I always feel compelled to light a candle and to talk to God, whoever He/She is.

laurie said...

those are lovely windows. and i like the dual-interpretation of the fishermen in the glass: both to honor the local fishermen, and the biblical one.

Artists With Artitude said...

Love this entry.. Love stained glass too. I once had the chance of visiting the amazing Chagall stained windows in Chicago..Awesome!

Janet Kincaid said...

I love stained glass! I just saw a beautiful stained glass panel this week at Mt. Vernon, George Washington's estate and plantation. It was a depiction of his life and career that was quite lovely. You've inspired find my photo opps like this!

Janet Kincaid said...

Oops. That last sentence should have said, "You've inspired me to find more photo opps like this." Oy. Sorry. Too early on a Sunday morning, I guess.