1. Only varnish your toenails on the toes that will be showing. When I am wearing open toe sandals I find I can get away with three.
2. If you have young children and dogs keep a mop bucket with soapy disinfectanted water on the go at all times outside the back door. If you are worried about what it looks like you can hide it behind a shrub. Keep an eyeout for any snails which may climb on to it and save them. If the weather is not hot it will last for a couple of days.
3. If you can't be bothered to buy new felt tips when they run out get the kids to dip them in an eggcup full of vinegar. It really does prolong the life of the pens, and the kids quite like the idea, like they are dipping quills into ink.
4. Delegate. If you have got guinea pigs (and if it is not winter when they really need hay) don't shred up paper but put some sheets into their their sleeping area and they will shred it themselves to make their own bedding. It also gives them something to do.
5. If you can't be bothered to weed say that your's is a natural wildlife garden, but always make sure that the grass is cut short so people can tell it's not just a mess. This is in the same way councils are now leaving grass verges partially unmown so that the wild flowers thrive but always making sure that there is a border of mown grass to indicate upkeep.
6. Throwing a ball for a dog. Go to the top of a hill (in my case an old railway embankment)and then let gravity do its work. Because the dog has to keep running back up the hill this will mean that he gets tired more quickly meaning you have to throw the ball less. I notice Scamp has picked up on this idea as he will take his ball to the top of the stairs and then push it down, DIY ball chasing.
7. If you are out and about with a digital camera and your batteries run out to save yourself the trouble of walking to a shop to buy some new ones take out the batteries and shake them. It will keep them going for a few more pics. If they then run out and you are really desparate to take one last picture throw them on the floor and put back into camera. This also has been tried and tested.
8. If you are like someone I know just put a lot of bubblebath in the bath so you don't actually have to do anything like moving when you are in it and just let the bubblebath do the work, with the action of the bubbles.