Wednesday 24 October 2007

Autumn Survivors



















































I like dog walks. They are the most therapeutic activity, combining exercise, fresh air and watching funny dogs whose only desire is to have a good romp with the next dog, and who don't appear to have any other worries. Today I took some pics on my afternoon walk.



The morns are meeker than they were
The nuts are getting brown
The berry's cheek is plumper
The rose is out of town
The maple wears a gayer scarf
The field a scarlet gown
Lest I should be old-fashioned
I'll put a trinket on

Emily Dickinson


Today I had the best of both worlds as along with the compensatory autumnal colours of the berries and the leaves (as though nature is getting dressed up in its finest as a sartorial challenge to encroaching winter) there are quite a few summer flowers around blooming in all their glory, in spite of the definite nip in the air. The rose is not out of this town as there are roses blooming, and I've taken a picture of a rose bud today, a new flower life, against the grey autumnal skies, and a patch of daisies.


These flowers are definite survivors as four months ago they were submerged under water for about a week when this area flooded, and you can see that re-building work is still going on.


Also a pic of some little catkin thingies. Love 'em. Thought these just came out in April and always wait for the ones on our bush. These are thin ones, but ours are plump and fluffy, like little easter bunnies.



Seeing as its Poetry Wednesday here is my own Haiku poem called 'Rose Bud':



A single rosebud
Offers up its young challenge
To the greying skies






















14 comments:

Bobbie said...

I love Emily Dickinson too. The one about the hummingbird is my favorite:
A Route of Evanescence

A Route of Evanescence
With a revolving Wheel --
A Resonance of Emerald --
A Rush of Cochineal --
And every Blossom on the Bush
Adjusts its tumbled Head --
The mail from Tunis, probably,
An easy Morning's Ride --

by Emily Dickinson


The gray days are perfect for your photos as it makes your colors wonderful. I enjoyed seeing the flowers and the ones that are still blooming there as compared to ours.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Beverly,

These photos are neat. I like the colors a lot.

Good for you walking ... I have not been doing it the last several days.

Fun to read Emily Dickinson.

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Irene said...

You definitely have a good eye and a good appreciation for your surroundings. I think you see a lot and you see it clearly and better than the average person. I always like it when you post photographs as I like to see your world. It is a small world after all isn't it? Nature looks so much the same over there as it does here.

lebanesa said...

Lovely, Bev. Really enjoyed this post. Poetry very apt and great pics and description of the joys of ambling. I used to walk an enormous amount, I hardly do at all now I am a troglodyte.
Thanks for this post, very cheering.

laurie said...

a single rosebud
shrivels and dies
in the october frost


sorry!! but that's my haiku. it's what happened to my rosebud, anyway.

and yet i love this time of year. and i loved this post, too.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Beverly,

I like these new additions!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Bez said...

Bev, you are more schooled than I in the literary arts, so am I wrong to think that line two of your Haiku is a syllable short?

I actually like it lots though "correct" or not, and I hate rigidly prescribed art anyway!

I'll get my anorak and leave you in peace!

Bev said...

Bez, what?????

Bev said...

Thank you for your Emily Dickinson poem, Bobbie. A great American poet. I love this one. Interesting as a mandala artist you have chosen one with a colourful, evanescent revolving theme! But she captures the hummingbird perfectly and concisely.

Laurie, I liked your Haiku too. It is evocative, but not very cheering lol

lebanesa said...

http://ourstereo.com/haikuforyou/
Have any of you tried this site?

lebanesa said...

Just noticed Bez's comment - maybe it's a dialect thing?
Your haiku seems right to me - 5 7 5 is what I remember, I'm going to have to look it up otherwise I'll be trying to remember haiku and count their syllables when I can't get off to sleep LOL

Bev said...

Frances, I haven't seen this site but at this very moment I am trying to compose a few as it is quite enjoyable and they are short1

Bev said...

Frances, my haiku is OK now because after seeing Bez's pedantic comment I went back and changed it

lebanesa said...

It gave me a giggle. I liked the original though - it was more poetic, though less haikuic